Lucien (Natius in Japanese)
Shadar (ジャボー Jabou in the Japanese version, real name is Lucien/Natius), known as the Dark Djinn as well as the Executor is one of the main antagonists of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Tasked with the destruction of the Pure-Hearted One, players will encounter Shadar during the majority of the game due to his role as one of the game's main antagonists, posing as the eighth and sixteenth boss battle during gameplay. His role in the story is at least as pivotal as Oliver's.
Shadar's appearance closely resembles the general wizard appearance (shown in the Wizard's Companion) albeit having major differences that set him apart from them. He wears a black coloured robe adorned with turqouise colored patterns and a hood that hides his head. His neck is supported with what seems to be joint horns that potrude past his head and golden platings that are attached to his chest. His fingers and hands are thin and he bears sharp nails. His hair has a very bright orange color, spiked and flows down, covering part of his face. During the majority of his appearance, his face is covered in a black shadow that prevents anyone from seeing his face, literally blanking out any kind of details around it, however once he is defeated his face appears wrinkled, like that of a frail old man with sharp teeth potruding from his lower lip. His eyes are dark purple and he has scruffy eyebrows.
WARNING: This section contains Spoilers.
Beginning (Initial Knowledge):
During the start of the game, Oliver first learns information about Shadar through Mr. Drippy when Oliver travels to the other world. Mr. Drippy gave a very vague description of Shadar and everything known about Shadar himself is sketchy at best. The most common information known to most residents of the other world were that he defeated the great sages, caused many people to become brokenhearted and enforced an abolishment of magic. His influence puts even the rulers of the Three Kingdoms in fear and even the mention of his name scares people. In cutscenes he's portrayed as a classical villain: Confident, malicious and yet intriguing.
Conflict with Oliver:
As Oliver continues to travel in the other world, Shadar is tasked by the one known as the White Witch to destroy Oliver and prevent him from saving the world from being destroyed. Shadar makes numerous attempts to kill Oliver in the story. His first attempt was to send Moltaan after Oliver after baiting him in his volcanic trap by making Old Smoky erupt once more. After Oliver saves Swaine from being brokenhearted and gaining Queen Lowla's admission, Oliver and his party board The Sea Cow and Shadar himself faces against Oliver to destroy him, however Shadar was defeated and had to use the Eye of the Storm to do his bidding.
Shadar returns to the White Witch after learning that Oliver is being protected by what seems to be a very strong magic that has been casted on him by none other than Alicia herself.
Return of Mornstar:
Shadar ensured that Oliver would not be able to go against him by destroying the wand known as Mornstar as it is the only wand strong enough to go against Shadar's magic. However, unbeknownst to him, Oliver was sent back in time by Gallus to retrieve Mornstar from the past. Shadar ensured that while Oliver has indeed attained the wand, the wand's power is severely weakened due to the three magic stones being separated from Mornstar itself, therefore rendering it useless against Shadar himself. Gallus gives Shadar control over the three guardians of the magic stones to ensure that they do not fall into the hands of Oliver, to which Shadar humbly accepts.
Coming to a head:
When Oliver and company were about to make their way through the Miasma Marshes to reach his castle Nevermore, Shadar sends his Vileheart to meet them near the whirlpool by the entrance. Having entrusted the fiend with the soulsnare that Oliver sought through his entire journey, Shadar aims to crush Oliver with the truth about his mother. Oliver and the party defeated the Vileheart and gained the soulsnare, however what lied in the soulsnare itself was not the soul of Alicia but rather her memories. Shadar succeeds in crushing Oliver's willpower, putting him in a comatosed state.
After successfully crushing his will, Shadar waits in his castle as Oliver recovers from his coma and confronts him. When Oliver and his party arrives at the throne room, Shadar makes one last attempt to dissuade the young boy by revealing that he is in fact, and in truth, Oliver's soulmate, he also tells Oliver that he has done away with all of the other incarnations of Oliver, gaining eternal life in the process. However, after having gained newfound will to protect the world from him, Shadar's ploy fails and he is forced to fight Oliver and his party. He attacks and thus treats the player to a final-boss worthy series of battles.
Upon his defeat at the hands of Oliver, Shadar, who on the brink of death, fades with Oliver into an empty, white place. There, Shadar learns the truth about Alicia's past and finds out that Alicia was the young girl whom he saved many years ago when he went against orders from his superiors. This causes him to have a change of heart and severes the soul-link between himself and Oliver once more to allow Oliver to return alive. He then meets up with Alicia in the hereafter, resembling more his younger self. Oliver is left with the most poweful spell of the Dark element: Evenstar.
WARNING: This section contains Spoilers.
Shadar was originally named Lucien, an army mage from Bellicosia. He trained hard to defend his friends and family. Yet when his country went to war for selfish reasons he disobeyed the orders to kill all the people in a village, saving a little girl and giving her a pendant as a keepsake. For this his hometown was razed to the ground and he brutally tortured, forcing him to walk with a cane after. He believed the little girl dead at the merciless hands of the army and fell into despair. In those depths, he heard The White Witch and she showed him the power on the far side of despair. He became Shadar, the Dark Djinn, appointed by her radiance and the twelve Zodiarchs as Executor of his world. He destroyed his homeland, was confronted by the grown-up Sage Alicia (who then used a combination of spells to find his soulmate in Motorville), leveled the country of Xanadu, abolished magic practically and made many people brokenhearted. He also slew several incarnations of his soulmate and attained immortality.
Though not implicitly named as the cause of the state of Miasma Marshes, the fact that they improve upon his defeat leaves one to wonder...
Powers and abilities
- Evenstar: The ultimate spell of darkness, second most powerful attainable spell in the game.
- Teleportation: He can teleport around.
- Bestow Nightmare: He can send a Nightmare creature to dwell within the brokenhearted.
- Summon Familiar : He only has one, the Eternal Knight, but it's a doozy.
- Command the Eye of the Storm: An ability granted by the White Witch to deal with Oliver.
- Sever soul link: Shadar can sever the link between him and his soulmates to avoid suffering their fate, or at the last to save Oliver. Although, according to the Young Woman's Diary story, the people who go to the Miasma Marshes possess this ability.
- Levitation: He can hover a fair shade better than Oliver with Levitate.
- He is Oliver's soulmate. Though initially dismissive of Oliver and his role as pure-hearted one, he grows to respect him when Oliver makes it past every challenge Shadar presented.
- Allie or Alicia was once his foe, but he learns that she was the little girl he saved so long ago.
- The White Witch is his superior, technically. Shadar is somewhat respectful to her, but confident in her presence.
- The Zodiarchs do not have Shadar's respect. He pays lip service, but thinks lowly of them and their scheming.
- He found Drippy annoying enough to change him into a doll that Alicia took along to Motorville. He doesn't think much of Drippy though as he only has eye for Oliver in their confrontations.
- Shadar's face isn't seen till after the final battle against him in Nevermore castle. Despite being immortal his body still bears the scars of torture and he looks old and decrepit.
- He managed to destroy Mornstar in the present.
- Shader (also spelled Shadir) just so happens to also be the name of the brightest star in the constellation, Cassiopea.