Spells are called "runes" in the Japanese game. To cast a spell, draw the rune that correlates to it. "Everyday" or "passive" spells can be used outside of battle. While the rune names are written in kanji in the guidebook, in certain places in the game they're written in hiragana.
Each spell is given to you in-game, for example by sages or royalty. There are also optional spells gained by speaking to a ghost-child named Horace and solving his riddles. In the NDS game, some spells are drawn in and "memorized" in-game instead of officially receiving them or being forced to perform them once. It isn't necessary to always draw the spell from scratch, for example if there is a locked treasure chest, pressing Y or clicking on your wand and clicking on the spellbook would allow you to press "use spell" and have the chest unlock without the need to draw anything.
- Possible error messages for when drawing spells on the NDS version of Ni no Kuni: "今の杖では使えないようだ the staff can't be used for that spell right now","この魔法では効果が無いようだ This magic won't have any effect", "描き方を間違えたようだ you made a mistake in your drawing".
Battle Spells can be used in combat, and some have additional uses outside of battle (especially as answers to quests). If an enemy is elemental, an attack spell that is strong against that element will do more damage to it.
List of battle spells: (The number listed is its number in the game booklet/The Wizard's Companion.)
- 3. Healing Touch ヒール (Heal) - This can also be used outside of battle to heal.
- 4. Draw Poison げどく/解毒 (Anti-poison/Detoxification) - can also be used outside of battle.
- 5. Healing Hand ヒールオール (Heal All) - Can also be used outside of battle.
- 11. Second Self 分身 (Offshoot/One's Other Self)
- 24. Ward オーラバリア (Aura Barrier)
- 25. Nix 魔法封じ (Magic Seal/Forbid)
- 33. Burden ヘビーウェイト (Heavy Weight)
- 39. Cloudburst 豪雨 (Tremendous Rain)
- 40. Thunderstorm テンピスト (Tempest)
- 41. Fireball ファイアボール
- 42. Pulse 衝撃波 (Shockwave)
- 43. Frostbite 氷結 (Freezing/Congelation)
- 44. Arrow of Light 聖なる矢 (Holy/Sacred arrow)
- 45. Unleash 召喚 (Summons)
- 46. Evenstar イーゼラー (Iizeraa)
- 47. Astra バルゼノン (Baruzenon)
- 48. Quake 地震 (Earthquake)
- 50. Broom Broom めざめよほうき/目覚めよほうき (Awaken, broom!)
- 52. Mornstar
These are to be used outside of battle. Usually this means they are for solving puzzles, ex. Puppet String is a spell used to move statues.
List of passive spells:
- 1. Form Familiar イマージェン (Imagine)
- 2. Gateway (ゲート Gate)
- 6. Take Heart ハートピース (Heart Piece)
- 7. Give Heart ハートキュア (Heart Cure)
- 8. Spring Lock アンロック (Unlock)
- 9. Travel テレポート (Teleport)
- 10. Levitate (浮遊 Floating/Suspension)
- 13. Chart Chests 迷宮の目 (Maze's/Labyrinth's Eye)
- 14. Veil かくれみの霧 (Cover Fog/Magic Cloak of Invisibility Mist)
- 15. Magic Lamp 魔法のランタン (Magic Lantern)
- 16. Nature's Tongue トーカー (Talker)
- 17. Quicken Growth マッハさいばい/マッハ栽培 (Mach Cultivation)
- 19. Vacate エスケープ (Escape) - used to escape from dungeons
- 20. Seek Fortune トレジャーサーチ (Treasure Search)
- 21. Rejuvenate ときよもどれ/時よ戻れ (Turn Back Time)
- 22. Fuse アイテムマージ (Item Merge)
- 23. Breach Time じかんりょこう/時間旅行 (Time Travel)
- 26. Secret Ingredient ちょうりまほう/調理魔法 (Cooking Magic)
- 28. Bridge みえざるみち/見えざる道 (Visible Path/Road)
- 29. Spirit Medium スピリトーク (Spirit Talk)
- 30. Puppet String あやつり糸 (Manipulation/Puppet Thread)
- 31. Insight マインドメトリー (Mind Metry)
- 34. Fortune's Fool 天の声 (Heaven's Voice)
Forbidden Spells are not truly forbidden — it's possible to cast them, but one pays a price.